[sword-devel] SVG module (an idea)

Tonny Kohar tonny.kohar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 01:36:06 MST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com> wrote:

> In general SVG is supported wider and more standardly than HTML5.  I'm
> fairly sure that Cairo (GTK stack) supports it.  Qt supports it.
> WebKit supports it.  Almost certain Gecko/Firefox supports it.  That
> means it's likely already supported in BibleTime and Xiphos (if built
> with Xulrunner).  I think BPBible uses wxHTML which is rather pathetic
> - so I doubt it has support.  But wxWidgets might have SVG support
> outside of the HTML widget.  I'm certain Java has support for SVG
> images, even if the Java HTML widget does not.

Java does not have native/direct support for SVG yet, but you can use
Apache Batik for SVG Renderer.
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/index.html

And Apache Batik is one of the most complete SVG engine implementation.

> Due to the fact that SVG has been in the wild for almost 10 years,
> you're likely to find that SVG support is much stronger than HTML5
> support which has not finished its draft revision process yet.  So
> you're more likely to get SVG support in front ends than HTML5
> support.  In fact you'll find that
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Vector_Graphics#SVG_and_Microsoft_Internet_Explorer
> IE alone among the "major browsers" does not support SVG - there are
> even JavaScript libraries that support and render SVG images.

And for IE, in the past there were no support for SVG at all, however
IE9 (not released yet) will support SVG and not only support but also
provide hardware-accelerated SVG support

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--
Alkitab Bible Study