[sword-devel] Apocrypha/Deutercanonical Books

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Fri Oct 22 10:15:09 MST 2010

  On 10/22/2010 12:23 PM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> Haven't looked at the Wiki right now.
>
> What I do know there are two levels of support - lack of crashing/delivering nonsense with a av11n bible and actually showing the "off" bits.
>
> So Xiphos is half there. It works, but it shows only verses/passages contained in the KJV versification schem
>
> I am not sure what Jsword does, but listening to DM, it sounds as if something not so nice is happening with a av11n bible and BD.
JSword assumes that all Bibles and commentaries have the KJV
versification. If you ask for a book, chapter or verse outside the KJV
versification it puts up a dialog box with that information. So some of
the non-KJV av11n Bible will not be accessible.

If that's not bad enough: it also assumes the ordering of books,
chapters and verses as found in the KJV versification. If the av11n
swaps/reorders books, the results will be really surprising. Also, every
extra verse or missing verse causes an off by one from that point
forward (within that testament). So if you ask for a verse that is "in
bounds" it may return something unexpected.

Also, imagine what a parallel view of significantly different av11ns
might look like.

 From a programmer's view, we might accept that as not too bad. We can
wrap our minds around it. But from an end-user's perspective, they may
think we have done violence with the biblical text.

 From a front-end perspective, I think we need to help the user
understand that a versification is useful, but not canonical.

Some areas, besides documentation:
Pick lists need to represent the modules versification.
     Support needs to be added to JSword to provide this info.
     In BibleDesktop we have dropdowns for Bible names. These need to be
ordered as in the av11n.
     In BibleDesktop we have drilldown trees for book, chapter and
verse. These need to show the ordering and structuring of the av11n.
Parallel views need to help the user understand when av11n do not line
up. (Since we don't have the mapping between av11ns.)
     Perhaps each cell has the book, chapter and verse number?
     Perhaps parallel is limited to books having the same av11n?
Parallel searching (which JSword does not directly support) needs to
identify references in a meaningful way.

Ultimately, I think it boils down to clear labelling.

There might be others but these are some of the challenges I see.

In Him,
     DM