[sword-devel] pinyin in Chinese sword module

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 01:47:23 MST 2010

Thank you, Matthew, for that very helpful explanation.

It seems to me therefore that adding Pinyin (where so desired) should fall
back to the module maker.

Peter suggested that the right answer to the "how question" is Ruby markup,
but few of the SWORD front-ends yet support Ruby.

I also think we've somewhat emphasised Japanese as the 'only' context for
Ruby markup, and neglected the possibilities of its use for other Far
Eastern languages, including Chinese. In addition, we may have been
uninformed about non-Mandarin languages that use the same set of ideograms.
Some minority ethnic groups (within China) have a language that is scripted
like this.

David