No subject

Wed Nov 24 15:51:32 MST 2010

at per module CSS is a good idea.=A0 Here are some reasons:<br>1. I&#39;m n=
ot convinced of &quot;well-defined use of HTML+CSS classes&quot;.=A0 Some t=
hings may be well-defined, but I know BPBible does a lot of customisation o=
f the SWORD generated HTML and uses a lot of custom CSS, and some or all of=
 these things might break CSS designed for other apps (and vice versa).=A0 =
I also do not like the idea that my changes to either the HTML generated or=
 the CSS breaks the display of a module I have never seen.<br>

t with the module styles.=A0 For example, I know Bibletime has themes, whic=
h can change colour of foreground text, background, ...=A0 I have thought a=
bout doing a similar thing for BPBible.=A0 However, this isn&#39;t going to=
 work in cases like: our poor user has a dark background, and the module de=
veloper has decided to mark a particular text feature in a dark purple whic=
h is nearly illegible.<br>

el case comes to mind.=A0 If I have multiple books using different style sh=
eets, how do I manage that?=A0 Do the parallel Bibles end up in different a=
nd clashing styles?=A0 In BPBible I think we even generate different HTML f=
or these different places, so there&#39;s not even a guarantee that these s=
tyles will apply cleanly and work.=A0 However, if any modules are created t=
hat rely on these custom styles to look OK, then we will need to have some =
way of making them work in all these different contexts.<br>

leinpaste <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:karl at kleinpaste.org">karl=

r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">Greg Hellings &lt=
;<a href=3D"mailto:greg.hellings at gmail.com">greg.hellings at gmail.com</a>&gt;=
 writes:<br>

&gt; 2) I can provide an external CSS stylesheet along with my module.<br>
&gt; Then I could still use OSIS and, assuming well-defined use of HTML+CSS=
&gt; classes being produced from OSIS by the engine, I could style the<br>
&gt; module the way I desired. =A0This would not require terribly much work=
&gt; to be done on the OSISHTMLHREF filter, but both Jaak and Karl when I<b=
r>
&gt; spoke with them were unwilling to allow inclusion of an external CSS<b=
r>
&gt; file in a module. =A0Why? I may have misunderstood but it seemed they<=
br>
&gt; were both of the opinion that presentation and appearance is of<br>
&gt; paramount importance, and they want to control the presentation of<br>
&gt; material in the applications.<br>
I don&#39;t specifically recall such a conversation, but I think you<br>
misunderstood whatever I may have said. =A0My perspective on CSS is that<br=

Xiphos cannot create a dependency on such a thing until we extricate<br>
ourselves from gtkhtml3, once and for all.<br>
Once we can be certain of always being able to link against a CSS-aware<br>
environment (xulrunner is there, of course, but we need WebKit for the<br>
sake of Win32), I don&#39;t think I&#39;ll even have a strong opinion, one =
way<br>
or the other, on whether a module should provide its own CSS.<br>
How to integrate it into display is another matter. =A0Standard filename<br=

within the subdir space of the content? =A0Probably, but not necessarily.<b=
r>
And that would apply only to full-page (full chapter) displays; how to<br>
use such a stylesheet for single-verse search results, for example?<br>
The bigger problem with the idea of CSS is that its use will totally and<br=

finally leave behind all UIs which do not target HTML as their output<br>
methodology. =A0I.e. BibleCS has no hope. =A0I&#39;m not sure which other U=
Is<br>
ware of any active frontend other than BibleCS that doesn&#39;t use some fo=
rm of HTML.=A0 Like Xiphos, BPBible&#39;s current rendering engine will not=
 support CSS properly, but BPBible 0.5 will.=A0 And even without CSS, Bible=
CS should still be able to display the text OK.<br>

--485b393aaf7139e08904965974db--