[sword-devel] Config file for thml module

jhphx jhphx at cox.net
Sun Nov 28 09:39:55 MST 2010

On 11/28/2010 3:05 AM, Jonathan Morgan wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> See http://www.ccel.org/about/copyright.html.  CCEL are not claiming
> copyright on the text (which is public domain).  What they are
> claiming copyright on is the XML markup (references, sections, ...).
> This XML markup is the version we would use in any of our modules.
> While this kind of copyright claim is dubious, it is not in the same
> league as claiming the actual original text is copyrighted.

Dubious is right, very dubious. But, assuming that they believe it is
valid I would expect they also consider the conversion of that markup
into other types of markup (derivative work) as a violation of their
rights. This is very unfortunate but seems to be the way things go in
this world. Which makes much of the work at Crosswire and the SWORD
Project so much more a blessing.

CCEL says any web site must have a license agreement to post any of the
non-text versions. But CCEL may be open to a license agreement, "They
may be used for non-profit personal, educational, and church purposes
involving fewer than 25 copies of a book without further permission,"
for any versions of their non-text works "derived" by the SWORD Project.
One would have to check into it, assuming one was willing to support the
dubious claim.

Jerry