[sword-devel] Proper Import Tools (Was: Re: osis2mod debugging/titles)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 07:39:28 MST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:27 AM, David Haslam <dfhmch at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm using IMP2VS to make a module, and used this code to display the 22
> acrostic headings in Psalm 119. Example:
> $$$Psalms 119:9
> <title canonical="true" subType="x-preverse"
> su camino? Con guardar tu palabra.Xiphos displays the module properly with
> the heading above the second stanza, etc.

This is pretty much a bad idea with no upside.  If you are using OSIS
you really ought to use osis2mod.  That utility has numerous
advantages over imp2vs for OSIS source materials - including warnings
of certain types of invalid or improper markups and transforming
elements which start in verse A and end in verse B into a form which
can be properly displayed even if the displayed verse range begins in
the middle (think: Words of Christ in red spanning from Matthew 5
through Matthew 7.  osis2mod will mark up verses properly so that
someone viewing chapter 6 will still see words of Christ in red).  In
contrast, imp2vs has no benefits for an OSIS-source text.  Its only
real benefit is for ThML sources, which have no way to mark up Bible
verses in the native ThML.  You really oughtn't to use imp2vs for OSIS
sourced modules.

--Greg