[sword-devel] YouVersion application for facebook

Mike Hart just_mike_y at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 13 10:39:10 MST 2010

I tried YouVersion on my work provided blackberry.

The number one learning I had from it was: Here in America, on Sunday at 11am, no 'net' bible is going to work due to a predictable traffic spike overloading servers. Unfortunately, that is the only time 95% of users want it to work.  So, even if the app is polished beyond perfection, a server side bible reader is doomed to be perceived as a flop because just about everyone finds it won't work on Sunday. I suspect a similar issue exists in Europe and Asia.

In designing for a server based web enabled app, remember that if your target device is portable enough to replace a paper bible, most of your users will expect your server to have bandwidth during services. Since Facebook is both a desktop and mobile environment, keep this in mind.

Possible solutions could be to allow some local caching of sections so that savvy users can at least prepare for services if the notes are pre-published, or design in a peer or group provided texts (but this opens up all sorts of bandwidth cost issues in mobile environments... spend $$$ of users money serving bibles if they don't have the right contract.)

I see much more value on FB with daily reading applets and badges pointing to other locally provided apps than a server side bible text reader.