[sword-devel] HTTP Transport support (was: Remote Module Repository Wiki)

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 05:25:09 MST 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:09 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org> wrote:
> InstallSize doesn't give the download size. HEAD does. For compressed
> modules and image modules these are fairly close. InstallSize is also fairly
> recent and not all confs have it. So if our software did use it, it'd have
> too fall back to another way when not there.

True indeed (though if it were in a standard script for managing a
repository, like Karl has it, or part of a standard module preparation
procedure it would probably mostly just work).  However, I think we
are talking about different uses here.  From memory, the use case for
InstallSize is to have something to give the user a rough idea about
the size before choosing to install it.  This needs to be something in
the conf file so that it is only got once up front, along with
everything else in mods.d.tar.gz, rather than being got once per file.
 When downloading an individual zip file you probably want HEAD to get
an exact size for that particular module.

> Doing HEAD on all the parts and summing it is a bother and might involve
> many latencies (eg mage modules) but is singular for a zip and thus no big
> deal.

Yes.

Jon