[sword-devel] HTTP Transport support (was: Remote Module Repository Wiki)

Nic Carter niccarter at mac.com
Sat Nov 6 19:22:36 MST 2010

Thanks for the long reply.  :)  It is frustrating that some things are designed really well and other bits are painful, like getting a listing of files...

ok, so, I did take a quick look at my code and one way of fixing the Xiphos listing, for example, is by not trying to parse the file sizes.  We could trust the module size provided in the module conf (which isn't always provided and is sometimes wrong!) and then simply have a total size indicator rather than have an indicator for each file downloaded in the module.  I think that may also work for bible.org?  Would be an option, and then we'd need to check to see if the file size returned by FTPTransport::getDirList() is zero, and if it is, use the total size provided by the module conf.  But, I believe there is a way of telling the size of a file being retrieved via HTTP GET?  hopefully we could use that as well?  :)

Anyway, just a quick thought.  Of course, I'd prefer that we didn't try to parse a file listing like this . . .  and would rather we used the mods.d.tar.gz file & module ZIP files, but more on that in another email.  :)

Thanks, ybic
	nic...  :)

ps:  I wouldn't be against someone submitting something to w3c, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for it to be implemented, let alone approved...  :(  :(