[sword-devel] Remote Module Repository Wiki

Nic Carter niccarter at mac.com
Fri Nov 5 21:19:19 MST 2010

On 06/11/2010, at 2:41 AM, DM Smith wrote:
> On 11/05/2010 10:49 AM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>> Do we have any feedback on the MacOSX installer files?
> I think the download pages should clearly say, perhaps on every page to use the program's built-in installer.
>
> We get lots of support questions from MacSword and BibleDesktop users on how to install the downloads from CrossWire on a Mac. The answer always is the same: Use your program's install manager.
> Also,I don't think that PocketSword can use them.

No, PocketSword doesn't use them.  PocketSword has support for installing a "raw zip" via a web browser (simple http form that can submit a zip file to the device) (which can, incidentally, contain several modules zipped together) and use of the InstallManager.

My suggestion (as a Mac user and MacSword user) would be to simplify things by only having "raw zip" modules available for download, and push people to use the InstallManager.  Perhaps even add an annoying page to the jsp download pages such that if a user clicks on the download link, it initially displays an (annoying!) page describing that the user should be using the internal InstallManager functionality of their frontend, and then providing a link to "actually" download the module.  :)  That way we can hopefully get users to install modules the "easy" way, rather than "manually".  :)  Yes, it would be annoying, but hopefully the annoyingness of it all would mean users would be persuaded to do things the way we'd like?  ;)

Just my random thoughts...  :)