[sword-devel] Remote Module Repository Wiki

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Fri Nov 5 06:34:10 MST 2010

> Von: Jonathan Morgan <jonmmorgan at gmail.com>
> (though I'm not convinced that a large percentage has these tools at their
> disposable or is aware of them).

At which point that particular debate probably ends :-)

> While drag and drop installation has a certain coolness factor, I feel
> having a menu option (like the "File > Install Books" BPBible has, also
> including multiple book installation) is more discoverable and thus
> perhaps
> more useful to the starting off user.

No objection, but also no contradiction.

>  Also, people coming from the
> background of e-Sword or similar tools are probably used to seeing a large
> collection of books on a web page to download, and when they see a similar
> list at Crosswire they do the same: download books and look for a way to
> install them, while some people just like downloading a thing to make sure
> they have it and could it share it with others if they wanted to (though
> with "the cloud" this is probably less common than it used to be).

I think the huge number of support emails "I have downloaded x number of modules and now what am I supposed to do" suggests the same - though of course us taking away the zips from the webpage would be a helpful step to stop that.

Downloading a zip for sharing is of course a very useful way to pass about modules via sneaker net. And that is in turn a way of some importance where the interent is either sparse or controlled. I think we acknowledge this by making the zip's available but we do not exactly facilitate it beyond that point. And that is a shame.

Peter

--
GRATIS! Movie-FLAT mit über 300 Videos.
Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome