[sword-devel] Diatheke - output_format RTF and Red Words of Christ?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Nov 3 14:02:51 MST 2010

Diatheke outputs portions of modules with various toggle and rendering
filters applied. That's all it does, and all I intend that it ever do.

It can only convert from input format X to output format Y if a
conversion path from X to Y exists. So conversion from OSIS/ThML/GBF to
OSIS/ThML/HTML/RTF requires that the appropriate filter (e.g. OSIS to
ThML) exist. How well it performs the conversion depends on how complete
the filter is.

Diatheke shouldn't produce valid or well-formed XML (or HTML, or RTF)
because it isn't producing header & footer content. That means XML
formats won't produce any schema information, encoding information, etc.
The RTF export won't produce the preamble information necessary to
identify the fonts that the RTF filter expects. Etc.

Diatheke is useful because it can show the contents of module entries or
the output of filter processes with a quick command line call. It's not
meant as a general-purpose export utility.

None of the reports in this thread represent bugs in Diatheke.

--Chris