[sword-devel] Progress on SOT format

Barry Drake bdrake at crosswire.org
Tue May 25 12:15:47 MST 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 11:13 -0700, David Haslam wrote:
> Please provide some further background. What is soT format? Where is it being
> used?

Background: a system proposed by Lynn Allen (he uses it in BerBible) and
has given permission to incorporate his principle though not his code,
into Sword.

Structure: Each line begins with a two byte length pointer followed by
the text.  This is followed by a series of strings containing the
non-biblical information such as footnotes etc each with markers.  I do
have a text with full information somewhere.

Overall, the verse-line is structured to allow fast searching on a slow
system as only the text need be searched as footnotes etc are not
embedded in the verse text.

Where used: Nowhere so far, but the concept is excellent, and modules
would be as standard Sword modules, but using a different filter to
render the verses.  Robin Randall offers his perl scripts to make a
SoText module in (by default) Sword import format (use imp2mod) and to
provide a proof of concept.  Next stage would be to offer SoText
versions of popular modules that work via a SoText filter transparently
alongside regular modules.  SoText format might be the preferred format
on slow machines such as phones.

God bless,	Barry.
--
Sent from my Dell Netbook using Ubuntu - the Windows-free environment
that gives me real fresh air.