[sword-devel] LXX versification and SWORD module

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Sat May 22 09:27:49 MST 2010

Is there a tasks list to rebuild all the SWORD modules which don't truly
match KJV v11n, yet which were built before the SWORD API began to support
av11n?

Using BD, I searched the LXX for the Greek word μαρτυριον and found 25
occurrences.
The English word is usually witness or testimony.

With the KJV shown in parallel, it's apparent that several of these "hits"
are where the LXX v11n mismatches the KJV v11n.

e.g.

1 Sam 9:24
1 Sam 20:35
Job 15:34
Psalm 80:1
Prov 29:13
Hos 2:12
Amos 1:11
Micah 7:18
Zeph 3:8

In the KJV column, the words "witness" or "testimony" are not present.

For anyone wishing to compare such instances in the LXX with what we have in
English translations this is certainly not ideal.

Admittedly, BD is not yet "av11n ready", but the conf file for the LXX
module does not say it requires av11n. Yet nor does the LXX module indicate
that there are places where it must mismatch KJV v11n, even though it was
build in 2008 (2008-07-22), when KJV was the only v11n we were supporting.
Surely we must have known back then that there are differences in v11n
between the LXX and the KJV. If so, why did we not take care to inform the
module users?

David