[sword-devel] ztext file format...

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Tue May 18 16:36:53 MST 2010

On 05/18/2010 01:41 PM, Matthew Talbert wrote:
>>> I have looked, but I cannot seem to find any information regarding the
>>> structure of the ztext file format.
>>>
>> The module format is essentially undocumented (other than via the source
>> code) and we have little intention to change that. The format is subject
>> to occasional smaller or larger changes.
>>
>> The general recommendation is that creators of frontends use the library
>> as it is and build upon that. I am sure there are C# bindings somewhere
>> available.
>>
> The C# bindings haven't worked for ages, and they are difficult to maintain.

Nonetheless, Peter is right.  The recommendation should be to either
update and maintain the C# bindings, or else write a new set of bindings
if they are not satisfactory.  Our policy is to not advertise our file
formats as they are prone to grow whenever we feel like it.  Our focal
point of stability for developers is our API.  We strive hard not to
break existing code, and do so on purpose only when absolutely
necessary.  This is not true for our module format (which includes
compression, encoding, indexing, and markup).

Having said this, Wade, I'm excited you want to provide C# access to
developers!  Have you had a look yet at the current state of our C#
bindings.  It has been some time since anyone has mentioned them around
here.  It would be great to hear your assessment.

Troy

Troy