[sword-devel] osis.py

Weston Ruter westonruter at gmail.com
Tue May 11 09:32:17 MST 2010

I'm working on a Python module for representing osisIDs (works, passages,
IDs, and refs). I think I've got the OsisWork class baked pretty well (at
least for reading/parsing), and I would appreciate your thoughts:
http://github.com/openscriptures/api/blob/master/osis.py#L122

It supports osisID works like those listed here (you can run these tests via
`python osis.py`):
http://github.com/openscriptures/api/blob/master/osis.py#L474

   - Bible
   - KJV
   - Bible.en
   - Bible.en.KJV
   - Bible.en.KJV.1611
   - Bible.en.ChurchOfEngland.KJV.1611
   - KJV.1611.06.07
   - KJV.1611.06.07.235930

In the last two examples, the month and day are also provided (if they
aren't, then they default to 1); and in the very last example, the time is
also included (HHMMSS).

An OsisWork then has the following members:

   - segments (each of the period-delimited segments in the osisID)
   - type (one of the strings enumerated in TYPES)
   - publisher (a string, the first of two segment slugs listed in the
   osisID)
   - name (a string, the single slug listed or the second of two)
   - pub_date (a datetime object; is “pub_date” the best name?)

Are there other pieces of information that should be parsed out? What about
revision, version, or edition like:

   - Bible.Example.2010.r231239921
   - Bible.Example.2010.v2
   - Bible.Example.2010.ed3

Currently if anything is included which isn't recognized, then it will raise
an exception; instead it should probably glob the unrecognized segments into
a "etc" or "splat" list.

Thoughts? I'd love to get this implementation fully built out to be a
reference implementation for ports into PHP, JavaScript, etc.

Weston