[sword-devel] Xiphos : copy'n'paste to facebook produces Chinese !

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Thu May 6 13:00:36 MST 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 8:42 AM, David Haslam <d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> Hey - I've got more information.
>
> If I include the verse tag, everything works OK. That's what Karl must have
> done too.
>
> The quirky behaviour via the clipboard happens when I select the verse text
> without the verse tag.
>
> This therefore points to a subtle bug in Xiphos, one that has not been
> encountered before.

Are you just selecting the text in Xiphos and doing ctrl+c to copy? Or
are you using the right click->copy/export option? If the latter, are
you choosing HTML or Plain Text?

If you choose right-click->copy/export, then that code would be
written by the Xiphos team (the actual clipboard stuff I did,
actually). If you are just selecting out of Xiphos, then that would be
gtkhtml where we have little control (except to quit using it, which
we are working on). Also, the copy/export option should preserve the
encoding, whereas copying just a portion of the HTML would not.

As Dima explains, copy/pasting is a complicated operation. Notepad
would only receive "plain text", whereas Facebook (or Firefox) might
be trying to interpret it as "rich text" (eg, HTML). A better test
than using Notepad would be pasting into MS Word.

Matthew