[sword-devel] Xiphos : copy'n'paste to facebook produces Chinese !

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Thu May 6 05:26:40 MST 2010

I'm using Firefox 3.6.3 under Windows XP SP3 fully updated. Firefox is
Unicode compliant.

xiphos 3.1.2-gtkhtml3

I'm still mystified.

The KJV verse I copied was Isaiah 57:1 (without the verse tag).

If I select what facebook received, and copy it back into a Unicode
compliant text editor, it looks like this.

䘼乏⁔䥓䕚∽∵㰾但呎䌠䱏剏∽㌣㤳㘷∶吾敨爠杩瑨潥獵瀠牥獩敨桴‬湡⁤潮洠湡氠祡瑥⁨⼼但呎㰾䘯乏㹔䘼乏
⁔佃佌㵒⌢㌳㜹㘶㸢䤼㰾但呎匠婉㵅㔢㸢瑩⼼但呎㰾䤯㰾䘯乏㹔䘼乏⁔佃佌㵒⌢㌳㜹㘶㸢䘼乏⁔䥓䕚∽∵‾潴栠慥瑲›湡⁤敭捲晩汵洠湥㰠䘯乏㹔⼼但呎㰾但呎䌠䱏剏∽㌣㤳㘷∶㰾㹉䘼乏⁔䥓䕚∽∵愾敲⼼但呎㰾䤯㰾䘯乏㹔䘼乏⁔佃佌㵒⌢㌳㜹㘶㸢䘼乏⁔䥓䕚∽∵‾慴敫睡祡‬潮敮挠湯楳敤楲杮琠慨⁴桴⁥楲桧整畯⁳獩琠歡湥愠慷⁹牦浯琠敨攠楶⼼但呎㰾䘯乏㹔䘼乏⁔佃佌㵒⌢㌳㜹㘶㸢䤼㰾但呎匠婉㵅㔢㸢潴挠浯㱥䘯乏㹔⼼㹉⼼但呎㰾但呎䌠䱏剏∽㌣㤳㘷∶㰾但呎匠婉㵅㔢㸢㰮䘯乏㹔⼼但呎>

Could the clipboard include the BOM (for UTF-8)? If so, would this be why
facebook misparses the paste?
Why should the BOM be included in the clipboard? That would not be the
logical thing to do.

David