[sword-devel] Android SWORD

Kermit Kiser bsv at kermitkiser.com
Tue Jun 8 15:38:06 MST 2010

A couple weeks ago Troy posted this message:

Dear Vitaliy,

The SWORD library has been ported to Android with Java wrapper classes via the NDK. Instructions for building can be found in the trunk of our svn repository under bindings/java-jni/README.

http://crosswire.org/svn/sword/trunk/bindings/java-jni/README

When developing the bindings, I had a test program I used to test the calls to the engine. I called it Bishop, but have not continued to develop it into a fully usable application. I could post the source, but I'd rather see what a real Android UI developer can do with the bindings instead.

The port is very preliminary so please let me know if things seem not to work as you'd expect.

If I understand that correctly, Bishop was never intended to be the actual Android SWORD frontend but only a feasibility demonstration. When I get some time free from my other Android projects I hope to take a whack at this one but I don't use Java or C so there may be a learning curve.

-- Kermit Kiser (BSV module developer)
AndRexx Applications