[sword-devel] Mac OSX Development Setup

Nic Carter niccarter at mac.com
Wed Jan 13 04:14:32 MST 2010

In order to do this, you need to have the devtools installed that come free with OS X.  They may already be installed on the machine, or they are available on the CD.  A way to check is to see if there is a /Developer folder that has a whole bunch of very cool dev tools that Apple provide for free (who'd wanna be a Windows developer and have to pay for crappy tools???????)...  :)

My suggested method is to use Fink -- http://www.finkproject.org/
Download & install.  It provides tools like debian has (it's based on debian) & ports of many packages that are available on Linux.  Some of them are annoyingly renamed, tho!
note that it installs packages to the fun location of /sw for some fun historical reasons.  mostly that you really don't wanna be overwriting the Apple supplied libraries, cause Apple will then overwrite your stuff when they update the OS!
After installing, you'll need to open a new terminal so that it uses your new profile, which will now have ". /sw/bin/init.sh" in it and I have added the following lines to mine, too, which I put there years ago and I'm not actually sure is still needed, but can't hurt:
export LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib"
export CPPFLAGS="-I/sw/include"

You want to enable the unstable branch of fink by adding the following line to /sw/etc/apt/sources.list:
deb file:/sw/fink unstable crypto main

Update to the latest version of the base system with `fink selfupdate`

then, for each of the dependencies for SWORD, try "fink install name" where "name" is the package.
You can find names for different dependencies like:
bub:~ nicc$ fink list clucene
Information about 8024 packages read in 0 seconds.
 i   clucene-core       0.9.21b-1002  Full-featured C++ search engine
 i   clucene-core-shli  0.9.21b-1002  Full-featured C++ search engine, shared libs
bub:~ nicc$

(note the "i" at the start of the line indicates I have this installed in fink.  if it said "p", it'd be already provided in the OS X install, but only certain packages are supplied this way.  Also, note what happens if you type `fink list icu`.).

I can't remember exactly what packages are required for SWORD, but you can probably figure it out yourself & then reply to this thread for other ppl's reference?  :)

That's a rather long and drawn-out email, but hopefully it explains it all in detail?  I've tried to give a quick-start to fink, which is probably why it's so long!  If there are further questions, shoot away  :)

ybic
	nic...  :)

ps:  there is an alternative to using fink, which is MacPorts -- http://www.macports.org/ which I tried but ended up reverting to fink.  That was about 6 months ago, but I already forget how to use it.

----
Nic Carter
PocketSword Developer - an iPhone Bible app
http://crosswire.org/pocketsword