[sword-devel] Search in Chinese modules

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Wed Feb 10 18:47:12 MST 2010

Chinese needs a special analyzer. In java Lucene there are 3 choices.
Two of them do some kind of bigram search. Basically it takes every
two chars and indexes them. So ABCD is indexed as AB BC CD. The same
analyzer would be used to prepare the search request.

 From what I gather spaces are not the appropriate "word" boundary.

In JSword we use the module's lang to pick an appropriate analyzer.
When we added it we didn't worry about backward compatibility. We
considered it as a bug fix. No one complained about having to rebuild
indexes. We did get thanks, though.

In Him,
    DM