[sword-devel] Linked in audio files

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 09:25:01 MST 2010

Hi everyone,

I think we got hung up by thinking that everything has to be done within the
module.

Why are we focusing on the OSIS files? Is there any real need to define a
new marker tag for audio in the OSIS? I very much doubt that it's necessary.
As far as I can tell, the OSIS files used by John Austin's xulsword (MK)
application did not contain any such extra tag. I just examined the UZVL.xml
file which he kindly let me have access to in 2008. (This is for Uzbek
Latin).  I could not find any object that has a connotation of audio.

This implies that everything is done by the front-end itself. After all, the
application knows which chapter and verse is currently being displayed as
text, so all that is needed in addition to the audio (MP3 or whatever) file,
is a means to synchronize the current location (e.g chapter) with the start
time for the respective audio file. And to stop somewhere suitable.

This throws the challenge back to the front-end application, and makes the
option to install an audio file as an ancillary media object something that
can be independent of how the text is displayed and how the module is
parsed.

As one of you has commented, then all that is needed is something to inform
the user that audio/video content is available for "this module", assuming
the ancillary resource has been installed. This is what the MK program does
very nicely with a minimalist audio player control shown somewhere in the
top left of the displayed module.

The ancillary resources for any particular module then merely have to be
correctly associated with module for which they are intended. This can be
done by matching something in the conf file, such as the module name.

Of course, there will be challenges for different ways in which module text
is displayed, as for example when some front-ends show it in parallel with
another module, or even as interlinear. Yet the media playing can be easily
restricted to be available only while an individual module is in view
normally.

While we are into this thread, it would be also worth asking our friends in
the TyndaleSTEP project for how they see the integration of rich ancillary
resources with the Biblical text.

Well that's my two-pennyworth - I hope you will receive it in good faith. In
another context, I just had an experience where I was unable to see the wood
for the trees, so I know what it feels like. Can be very embarrassing.

Yours in Christ's service,
David Haslam
Go Bible project leader