[sword-devel] User Interface design for Tyndale STEP

Chris Burrell chris at burrell.me.uk
Sun Apr 25 13:57:12 MST 2010

Some mock ups from me are now on the Tyndale Programming blogs:
http://tyndalestep-prog.blogspot.com/<http://tyndalestep-prog.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=50>

Comments are welcome, whether good or bad!!! I think whatever happens, the
icons would need to be harmonized (colour an style) and thought through a
bit. And obviously the colour scheme would need to be chosen carefully  (do
we also want to make colour blind people have easy access, etc.?)

<http://tyndalestep-prog.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=50>
The first two screenshots go together:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4q-hr4DqduU/S9SnQsGWsoI/AAAAAAAAADs/t2ijJOFqFPc/s1600/tyndale+step-750569.PNG
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4q-hr4DqduU/S9SnQEI12uI/AAAAAAAAADk/Qxp-v2p_QEM/s1600/tyndale+step+with+popup-747928.PNG

where the second one is when the user has clicked a button on the left hand
side.

And then there's the explanations of some of the layouts if need be:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4q-hr4DqduU/S9SnaPNzSBI/AAAAAAAAAD8/npX67PYsUqc/s1600/tyndale_step_description-788925.PNG
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4q-hr4DqduU/S9SnaI4ERiI/AAAAAAAAAD0/XL_u75zTlkE/s1600/tyndale_step_with_popup_description-788049<http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4q-hr4DqduU/S9SnaI4ERiI/AAAAAAAAAD0/XL_u75zTlkE/s1600/tyndale_step_with_popup_description-788049.PNG>
.PNG<http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4q-hr4DqduU/S9SnaI4ERiI/AAAAAAAAAD0/XL_u75zTlkE/s1600/tyndale_step_with_popup_description-788049.PNG>

Finally, there's a couple of extra screenshots:

The first showing an alternative of the bit in the middle of the book:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4q-hr4DqduU/S9SpdQ5XfBI/AAAAAAAAAEM/3Rw7bs3AQ6k/s1600/tyndale+step+no+bookmarks-713151.PNG
where
it would list the content we have about a particular passage

and then one that looks particularly green (the green from one of the logos
that was on the blogs a few weeks ago:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4q-hr4DqduU/S9Spc_NlF3I/AAAAAAAAAEE/EF3stgSdQ18/s1600/step1_green-711941.PNG
)

A few other remarks:
1st: we're going to run this thing in a browser (whether online or offline),
so we can make use of the browser buttons (back and forth), most naturally
to capture content change, similar to the bookmarks, going back and forth
through the passages we've visited. (that is stateless, i.e. if we came back
tomorrow that history would be forgotten about).

2ndly, it's a browser, so we can expand the page downwards (by inserting
content at the top), or at the bottom. We can also use internal links to go
between one screen and another.

3rdly: we could include some sort of menus at the top to make it feel more
desktop-like. Not sure what I think about that.

4th: we do need a place of general configuration and user preferences
(things like proxy settings, installing more sword modules/bibles, etc.).
Generally most of that can be done on a separate page, but we need a way of
accessing it, even if it's just one button at the top right, or something
like that.

I think that's it from me for now...

Please do let me know what you all think!?
Chris