[sword-devel] www.crosswire.org down?

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Sat Apr 24 02:47:57 MST 2010

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, David Haslam <d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> It is sometimes blacklisted by the Great Firewall of China.

But why would that affect someone trying to access the website from
southern Africa? I know network routing is not geographical or based on
crow-flight distances or economic cost or indeed sensible but Africa
routed through China ... unlikely.

Is it that the OPs ISP is using a web site filter list and for whatever
reason Crosswire is on there? My college used a commerical filtering
subscription that had the Pirate Party (UK) web site blocked. The Pirate
Bay web site I can sort of understand but a formally constituted political
party seeking change in copyright, patent and freedom of speech should not
be blocked; not even the BNP or GOP ought to appear on such lists. The
other web site this commerical subscription blocked was PortableApps.com.

The decisions to block a web site is mostly whimsical and capricous on the
part of someone who has no idea what the ramifications are. While I
applaud the college's original decision to block facebook all (the above)
restrictions have been removed. The facebook one no less than because the
college has created its own facebook feed.

And I have similar networky problems with other web services. The then
current routing in use would sometimes allow me access. Other times is was
slow. And yet most times nothing would work as a traceroute would show a
routing loop deep inside an en route ISP. But it would come as no surprise
to me to find that one of the fat-pipes has split and spewing bits all
over the ocean floor right now.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!