[sword-devel] Fwd: Re: The Lexham English Bible (module LEB)

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Apr 16 15:48:39 MST 2010

(Resending)
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [sword-devel] The Lexham English Bible (module LEB)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:29:53 -0700
From: Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org>
To: SWORD Developers' Collaboration Forum <sword-devel at crosswire.org>

On 4/15/2010 9:21 AM, David Haslam wrote:

> Alternatives?
>
> I thought we had a policy not to be an authoritative source of texts.
>
> If these two codepoints are letters, then they are part of the LEB text, and
> we shouldn't replace them.
> That should be so, even if they had been punctutation.

Changing how we render an XML tag doesn't make us authoritative over a
text. We would still be using an XML doc from Logos and converting it to
OSIS, then running the result through osis2mod.

To be clear, the codepoints are letters from the view of their Unicode
character properties. That affects how they are treated by Unicode-aware
software. For example, search with a regular expression /\bMoses\b/, it
won't match the string "˻Moses" because the M isn't at a word boundary,
the ˻ is.

I don't believe that the translator or Logos would say that they
consider these letters.

> My observation was that some front-ends may not render them correctly. As
> different front-ends use different rendering components, I just thought it
> may need further attention in that area.
>
> Good to read from Karl that Xiphos can render them right, and that he didn't
> have to switch away from his preferred font to do so.

It's just a Unicode codepoint, without any special combining
characteristics. So whether it renders or not is a matter of the user's
chosen font (or the font chosen for them). It works fine on the iPad in
PS, FWIW.

--Chris