[sword-devel] Open Japanese Collaborative Bible Translation (was Re: New subscriber's first post (introduction & project proposal))

Weston Ruter westonruter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 08:47:50 MST 2010

Hello Kunio,
I love your idea. I forwarding your email onto the Open Scriptures group, as
there are many people there who I know would be very interested in your idea
and who share your desire for having open access to scriptural data. Your
described a need for a collaborative translation tool and this is something
we've been talking about in connection with Bible.org and being powered by
apps within the Django/Pinax framework.

As I understand it, CrossWire is the place to go for collaborating on your
goal to “build free Bible viewer for portable devices” but that CrossWire
tries to stay away from creating data themselves; on the other hand, Open
Scriptures is a place to collaborate on the underlying scriptural data, but
not to actually build the applications that work with the scriptural data.
Open Scriptures is a “platform for the development of open scriptural linked
data and its applications”―a platform in the sense that it is a place for
like-minded people to collaborate (as is currently happening with the Hebrew
Old Testament, for example), and a platform in the sense that it is working
toward a standard API <http://github.com/openscriptures/api> that can power
scripture applications.

Blessings,
Weston