[sword-devel] Improvements to osis2mod to handle XML comments and <header> correctly

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Apr 5 11:18:35 MST 2010

On 04/05/2010 01:44 PM, Weston Ruter wrote:
> DM:
>
>     But what we really need is not a parser but a tokenizer. I'm
>     thinking about writing one (my degree work was in compiler
>     writing). Basically, we repeat the same tokenization code in
>     several places. It should be trivial to write a complete, accurate
>     one.
>

> I've also been wanting to work on a tokenizer. At Open Scriptures, the
> text of a work is currently represented by two models
> <http://github.com/openscriptures/api/blob/master/models.py> (database
> tables): Token
> <http://github.com/openscriptures/api/blob/master/models.py#L242> and
> Structure
> <http://github.com/openscriptures/api/blob/master/models.py#L315>.
> Tokens are the smallest divisible units of text, such as words,
> punctuation, and whitespace; and structures are the spans of tokens
> that form logical units, such as verses, paragraphs, quotes, etc. The
> structures are standoff-markup for the tokens. With the underlying
> data stored in this way, it can then be serialized in whichever
> hierarchy desired (book-section-paragraph, book-chapter-verse,
> all-milestoned, etc) or whichever data format is needed (OSIS, SWORD
> Module, XHTML, etc.)

This is a lot lower than what an xml tokenizer needs. This would be a
tokenizer for the text between tags. Having a single tokenizer that does
both would be more efficient when both are wanted and slower when only
xml tokens are needed.

I think a model could be constructed that could do both and allow one to
ask for the depth of tokenization that is needed.

There is a big complication with the parsing of text: it is language
dependent. For example, Thai has words but not word breaks. Basically,
the task will require a Unicode and somewhat language aware word-break
algorithm. The best I've seen is in ICU.

Lucene has a wonderful example in their Jira issues database of how to
do tokenization. (1488, if I remember.)

> So what I'm currently rumenating on is the process of importing the
> raw data into the Token and Structure models. I wrote an importer
> <http://github.com/openscriptures/api/blob/master/importers/Tischendorf-2.5.py>
> for the Tischendorf GNT data which does everything both tokenizing and
> parsing, but obviously there is going to be a lot of code in common
> with other importers that are written. So I too am thinking about how
> these importers can be reduced to the bare minimum to handle the
> unique aspects of the raw data (i.e. normalize it), and then stream
> the tokens back to a central importer that parses the input and stores
> it into the Token and Structure models. This central importer facility
> could be a web service.
>
> I've love to collaborate with you on this. We could come up with a
> common tokenizer that can be used by both SWORD and Open Scriptures.
> The importer web service could take tokens as input and as output
> generate a SWORD module and also populate the Open Scriptures models
> at the same time.
>
> Thoughts?

Sounds good to me, too.

In Him,