[sword-devel] Devanagari text displays different in SWORD than in the source IMP file
d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 11:36:47 MST 2009
Chris Little is correct.
Both SWORD (SPW aka BibleCS) and BPBible give exactly the same code when
pasted into SC Unipad Lite. The first word of Mark 1:1 has the zwj for both
Ergo - it is the rendering.
Explanation: What I did earlier was complicate things by comparing the
reported appearances as found in Tim's email to this list.
btw. Anyone following this thread on a mirror using a browser, even the
appearances may change depending in which browser you have!
SC Unipad Lite does not use external fonts.
I have also confirmed this test using Wordpad, and examining the escape
codes after saving the RTF file.
Tim Chase-13 wrote:
> Words including the zwj is where the problem shows up. The zwnj works
> correctly. I can provide several example words that have the zwj if it
> would be helpful and examples of correct and incorrect renderings.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chris Little [mailto:chrislit at crosswire.org]
> Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 2:05 PM
> To: SWORD Developers' Collaboration Forum
> Subject: Re: [sword-devel] Devanagari text displays different in SWORD
> in the source IMP file
> Before anyone starts making authoritative statements about ZWJ or ZWNJ
> in various modules and their reflexes in front ends, I would like to see
> some sort of proof that this is even relevant to the problem.
> If ZWNJ is present in the module, it isn't being changed by Sword or by
> BibleCS. If you copy text from BibleCS and paste it into an editor that
> renders things correctly, such as BabelPad or Notepad, you get back the
> correct rendering--so it's not inserting, deleting, or changing
> My own feeling is that the problem lies in the renderer used by various
> front ends. And specific to BibleCS, I suspect we can fix the issue by
> compiling in a more recent version of C++Builder (which I'll try to do,
> when I get a chance, unless Troy beats me to it).
> Font choice is important. You have to use a font with the correct font
> tables. (Graphite tables would work, but OpenType are entirely
> sufficient for this kind of Indic application.) However, the fonts named
> in the initial post and my testing further to that report demonstrate
> that even fonts with good OT tables won't render correctly in BibleCS's
> current renderer.
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Devanagari-text-displays-different-in-SWORD-than-in-the-source-IMP-file-tp25137030p25351777.html
Sent from the SWORD Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
More information about the sword-devel