[sword-devel] swlocale question

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 00:59:17 MST 2009

> Unfortunately on OS X the LANG var doesn't seem to get set also not any
> other environment variable that would help determine the system language.
> In OS X system preferences you have a preferred list of languages. The first
> one is used as current system language but this is not reflected to terminal
> environment.
> Since SWORD library is not available as installable package on OS X like on
> Linux we package a compiled binary of it including the locales.d folder and
> look manually if there is a locale file for the current system language.
> Hmm, looks like MacSword has to further do it's own thing here.

We don't want to mess up what you're already doing. What format is the
current system language in? This isn't a proposal to change SWORD to
look at environment variables, but just to be a little smarter parsing
language formats. If OS X returns the current system language in a
format that even starts with the first 2 characters matching a locale
in SWORD, this code would allow you to just pass that directly to
SWORD without matching a SWORD locale precisely.

Matthew