[sword-devel] A simple Fedora SWORD compile/install script

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 2 01:33:47 MST 2009

Jonathan Marsden wrote:

> FWIW, I'm installing a Fedora 11 VM right now, doing a minimal install
> with no optional package sets selected, and I'll go through what I need
> to do to reach the point where I can compile and install SWORD, and
> document the result.

A trivial 5 line script to download, compile and install SWORD svn head
onto a bare Fedora 11 machine (installed from the netinst .ISO -- a
pretty minimal install!), which expects that you have already set up
sudo appropriately, is enclosed.  It works on Fedora 10 also, though I
did not test it on a really minimal install of Fedora 10 (somehow my
default text mode Fedora 10 install installed over 1000 packages,
compared to just 182 for Fedora 11).

Is it worth putting some basic info on how to download and
compile/install SWORD from source on various Linux distributions on the
wiki?

BTW, a similar script using wget to grab (and tar to unpack) the sword
1.6.0 tarball, instead of using svn, fails on Fedora 11!  I think
because of some missing header issues.  More details on that later, if I
remember :)

Jonathan