[sword-devel] Questions about usfm2osis.pl

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Oct 28 17:16:05 MST 2009

Chris Little wrote:
> DM is exactly right here.
>
> DM Smith wrote:
>> On Oct 28, 2009, at 12:04 PM, <johnduffy at cgcf.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Daniel,
>>>
>>> Yes, it works even using a relative path if only one file is
>>> specified but not the *.sfm.
>>
>> Expansion of * is something that the os needs to do. I don't know if
>> or how Windows does it.
>
> I use usfm2osis.pl on Win32 most of the time and it works fine, but I
> run it in bash, which is doing wildcard expansion. I'd never considered
> the need to do this, but it should be easy enough to add this for use in
>  the Windows command shell.
>
> On the other hand, I can heartily recommend the option of installing
> Cygwin, which will provide you both bash and perl.

I've done some testing now, and can't recreate the problem on my system.
I'm using 64-bit Windows 7 with bash & perl via Cygwin.

I get identical behavior (correct behavior, with expanded wildcards)
whether using bash or the Windows command shell (cmd.exe). In both
cases, I'm using mainline perl (5.10.0-5) from Cygwin.

Which version of Windows are you using? Which version of Perl (and from
what source)? And are you using any shell other than cmd.exe?

I'm willing to work on a solution if this is caused by earlier versions
of Windows, but if the failure to expand is caused by a non-mainline
version of Perl (e.g. ActiveState), I'm more inclined to simply declare
those versions unsupported.

The latest usfm2osis.pl
(http://www.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/utils/perl/) fixes the
problem with handling the BOM.