[sword-devel] locales

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Oct 12 23:31:27 MST 2009

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Chris Little wrote:

> Can someone explain our locale offerings to me? Our locales seem to be
> in a hodgepodge of different states and I would like to clean them up a
> bit. Various issues are listed below:
>
> 1) Why do we even have an en_GB locale? It is identical to the default
> (en) locale.

If I don't have any locales installed and query the locales from the
engine with
sword::LocaleMgr::getSystemLocaleMgr()->getAvailableLocales(),
it seems to give en_US, not en.

> 2) A number of locales have the format xx_YY-zzzz where xx is a language
> code, YY is a country code, and zzzz is an encoding. Others have simply
> xx-zzzz (language-encoding, where encoding is always utf8 for this set).

I vaguely remember looking in the code and understanding that utf8
locales are used automatically if the system is unicode aware, so the
non-utf8 locale is actually a fallback if there are both for some
languge. I think you should see the source code.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland