[sword-devel] experimental repository & new module release procedures

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Oct 5 20:38:08 MST 2009

Ok, I'm certainly amenable to removing experimental from
masterRepoList.conf.

I had imagined that the name "experimental" itself would discourage
people from adding this repo and expecting useful content. My concern
and request that users not be directed to this repository were based on
a practice that has become more common lately, in which a user writes to
sword-support asking for a module in some language (e.g. Welsh or
Japanese) and is directed to the beta module. I don't want people who
write to complain about the RST module to be directed to the RusSynodal
module that may replace it since it won't work without Sword 1.6.1 and a
front end that can use av11n.

I don't mind if users download the content we have in the experimental
repo, provided they don't expect it to work or be of decent quality.

Is there still a consensus that experimental should be removed from
masterRepoList.conf? We could add a note field to that .conf and label
it as "for developers only". A note field might also help clarify the
purpose of the bible.org repo that causes some confusion. (This would of
course not be a useable field prior to 1.6.1--but I assume that's coming
fairly soon.)

--Chris