[sword-devel] OSIS feature support and questions

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Oct 2 17:10:44 MST 2009

Yeah yeah,  I know we need more support for everything.... :)

It is largely a frontend issue on what to do with the data, but the
engine could make it easier to know what the data is (as DM has pointed
out).  I'd like maybe an SWMgr::parse method that would return
module/key pairs in a ListKey somehow.  Dunno.  Please don't think we're
abandoning supporting more stuff.  It's just a matter of priority and
interest.  Of course I'd like to see everything supported better.  We're
still working on getting the long sought av11n support to the end user
and actually have any useful modules using it.  I suspect if we get some
useful modules which have advanced <reference> entries, that would be a
great motivator to get something in the engine to assist frontends to
look these things up.  But, as this conversation has pointed out, the
feature in the engine also motivates module dev.  So we are kindof in a
motivational catch22 :)

Anyway, please don't think we've abandoned the idea of making things
easier for frontends.  When one implements a feature, it is often eye
opening for me to see how they've done it and what the need was that
prompted it.  This sometimes leads to the _lifting_ of the ideas and
even sometimes part of the impl into the engine. :)

Thanks for the insightful discussion and suggestions.

Troy

DM Smith wrote:
> On 10/02/2009 04:18 PM, Matthew Talbert wrote:
>>> It "seems" straightforward.
>>> Does it handle "self"? (Which will be in dictionaries.)
>>>
>> Doesn't appear to.
>>

>>> Does it handle Bible.KJV:reference or
>>> Bible.ref-system.work:reference? (I.e.
>>> where the workID is not merely the name of the module but contains other
>>> info?) At least it should then split on '.' and take the last part.
>>>
>> Looks like it does something with things like Bible.Vulgate, etc, but
>> it doesn't look very sophisticated.
>>

>>> Does it handle all valid osisRefs? E.g.
>>> osisRef="ESV:Matt.1.1-Matt.2.3,Gen.1.1" (discontiguous range)
>>>
>> Yes and no. It appears it will get output as
>> sword://Matt.1.-1-Matt.2.3,Gen.1.1 which will then get interpreted by
>> the frontend. In the case of Xiphos, we'd just hand this back to SWORD
>> to parse. I don't know if you would always get expected results here.
>>

>>> I remember that. And since I'm not much of a SWORD programmer, I
>>> didn't say
>>> much.
>>>
>>> My point: By having a workable mechanism in the engine that is
>>> updated as
>>> needed to handle more and more of the osisRef spec, more front-ends can
>>> share the fruits of labor.
>>>
>>> Troy and Chris stated, in those email threads, it is essentially a
>>> front-end
>>> issue. I won't argue that. But it is one that has to be solved by each