[sword-devel] InstallMgr

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Thu May 14 21:07:53 MST 2009

Just a bit of history regarding JSword. We have an FTP mechanism. We
moved it to limbo, but can put it back at any time, with little
effort. It worked just fine on Windows XP until a particular patch
came out. After that, FTP was blocked by Windows XP. But we already
had complaints that FTP did not work through proxies and was blocked
by some firewalls.

At this point we added HTTP as a second option, with FTP enabled by
default. This did not reduce the number of problem reports regarding
downloading modules, except perhaps a little.

When we first implemented HTTP, we tried to go after the directory
listing, but during developing it some server upgrade changed it. So
we went after the zips instead.

Occasionally, we get a problem report that some module is not
available that is listed and this is always due to JSword not doing
things in a proper way. But the number of problem reports is far fewer
with this mechanism than with FTP. In fact it is almost none.

BTW, I'm not against FTP nor adding it back to JSword, if we can work
around the problems. Right now the SWORD answer to proxy and firewall
problems is to download the zip and manually install it. I don't think
this is a good answer.

Troy, I can put the FTP package back and I can see if Apache's
implementation is any better. But we would still want to offer http as
a solution to those problems which cannot be solved. And we would not
want to increase the number of reported problems, so we would have to
be smarter about it than we were before.

I understand the rational for the current mechanism that any
installation of modules can be used as a repository. Today a module
consists of a conf file that gives the path to where the constituent
files can be found and it consists of those files.

I'd like to suggest that we add another file or modify the conf to
give a manifest of that content. Then there would be no need for an
http parse. The ftp parse would continue to work just as well as it
always did, but it would work just as well for it to use the manifest.
The perl script I mentioned creates a single manifest file much as the
old conf listed all the modules, but it could be made to create
separate info or insert it to a conf file. My script produces far more
info in it than is necessary for a manifest.

This would be in keeping with the notion of a installation of modules
without cache can be used as a repository.

Working together in Christ,
	DM