[sword-devel] autogen.sh (was: Re: Autotools Bug? )

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 07:23:56 MST 2009

> I'm downloading about a sample of about one thousand source packages now
> (all the source packages in the Ubuntu universe repo that start with the
> letter s -- well, unless the partition I am dowloading to fills up
> first).  By not using g or k as the initial letter (the archive tree
> uses initial letter as one level of its hierarchy) I hope to avoid bias
> towards Gnome or KDE.

Of course, considering the typical use of autogen.sh, this may or may
not tell you anything. As autogen.sh is not needed for use by
non-developers, it is probably excluded from packaging with at least
some packages. As I said, you should simply google it, and look at
some of the results.

Anyway, it's all a bit ridiculous. Calling autoreconf makes the
process no shorter, and since there are a fair number of projects
using it, the value of learning either process is approximately the
same. It certainly isn't worth spending any amount of time on, as
there are a number of much more important issues with SWORD to
resolve.

Matthew