[sword-devel] SWORD 1.6.x Localization (Ps 151)

jonathon jonathon.blake at gmail.com
Thu May 7 08:33:29 MST 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 01:42, Greg Hellings  wrote:
> as it is in my NRSV, as are 148-150.  There is no mention of 151, but I have no idea if it's one of the ones sort of wedged into their otherwise strange versification.

There are two major v11n schemes for Psalms.  The one that Jews use,
and the one that Protestants use.  The Jerusalem Bible lists both v11n
schemes.

Psalm  is not part of either v11n scheme.

> Esther starts with Chapter 1 verses 1a through 1r which are also
Any book that starts with Chapter 11 verse 2, and ends with Chapter
11, verse 1, with fifteen chapters between those two verses is going
to be a problem.

> Hosea presents its own challenge to the codifier where my print

There are a couple of other books where the Jerusalem Bible uses its
own v11n scheme --- one that is not congruent with the Vulgate, LXX,
DR, Masoretic, or KJV.

> There seems to be no mention of the "Book of Odes" or other similar works in the Jerusalem Bible, nor the prayer of Manasseh.

Neither of those books are considered to be useful, much less
canonical, in Catholic Christianity. You won't find them in Catholic
Bibles.

Prayer of Manasseh,  1 Esdras, and 2 Esdras are found in Anglican
Bibles --- those three books are canonical for the Church of England.

As a general rule of thumb, Prayer of Manasseh is only includes in 2
Chronicles, in Bibles that include _The Ethiopiac Canon of Eighty
One_.

>  but I think there's miles and miles to go before we can properly support a canon like the JB.

The Jerusalem Bible is pretty easy to support.   The Ethiopiac Canon
of Eighty One is far more challenging.

> I'd like to see it supported (and, consequently, a module of it be made available), but I don't even know where to begin with something like this even if the whole project was dedicated to supporting the JB directly!

The "simplest" solution is to create a superset of v11n schemes, and
assign a specific number to each verse in the superset.   Then write
mappings from each v11n scheme to the superset.   All texts that call
for Bibles need to provide both the v11n scheme, and the normal book,
chapter, and verse.

I'd also suggest throwing Bell, Sussanna, Song of the Three Young Men,
and Greek Esther into books of their own.   (If the Canon of 81 is
supported, create1 Merqab, 2 Merqab, and 3 Merqab, in addition to the
1 mac, 2 mac, 3, Mac, and 4 Mac. Also create both epistle of Clement,
and 1 Clement.,   The two texts are different.   (I've forgotten which
church canonised 1 Clement.  Also need EpLao, and 3 Corinthians.)

jonathon