[sword-devel] Poetry Encoding

Fri Mar 27 06:01:31 MST 2009

On Friday 27 March 2009 08:39:34 am Chris Little wrote:
> But I'm not sure I understand why it is important to know whether
a line
> or line group mark poetic lines as opposed to ms orthographic
lines.

> In both cases, the start of the line marks a straight margin and
the end
> of the line marks a linebreak. And in both cases, putting the
whole text
> block inset from the margin of preceding/following text is
commonplace.
> Maybe there's a non-rendering issue I'm not thinking of, but in
terms of
> rendering, identical handling would seem best to me (with the
addition
> of further inset lines in the event of level > "1").

Mostly for flexibility and so forth. You may wish to have poetry's
initial indent/margin to be 3 while orthographic lines may be only 2
or what have you for being visually different or you may wish other
formatting differences, and also for content vs display separation.
Currently in BT we parse the osis, and then render our own HTML
(so we can easily use our custom css display templates)  and give
things a class based on what is is, so we have a .poetry rule in the
formatting styles, and potentially a .orthographic (though I don't
see one in the style I'm working with right now). But you may also
be correct and it may make sense to have them the same. I am not
entirely familiar with ways of presenting orthographic texts
currently