[sword-devel] Poetry Encoding

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Thu Mar 26 13:20:56 MST 2009

David (Mailing List Addy) wrote:
> So now that we've had a discussion about how to indent poetry, is
> there a reliable way to pragmatically detect poetry? In the ESV instead
> standard way of encoding them?
David,

Using <l/> is simply sloppy and bad OSIS. It works, it validates, but is
wrong. (I did the conversion, so I am slamming myself:)

According to the OSIS spec (from memory):
<lg>
<l>xxx</l>
<l level="2">yyy</level>
<l>aaa</l>
</lg>

Note the first and third <l> have no level attribute. I'd take this to
mean a top level line or equal to level="1" (as we discussed before).

Regarding the ESV, the conversion was done programmatically. If there
are markup bugs (and there are), please report them in
www.crosswire.org/bugs under Modules. If I have enough and enough time,
I'll update the conversion. Since it is copyrighted material, we are
holding the source in private, but if you want to volunteer, we are
certainly open that.

In Him,
    DM