[sword-devel] dictionary ordering revisited

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Mar 19 13:50:41 MST 2009

DM Smith wrote:

> The problem is a bit deeper than that.

Yes, and there are some other things I want to bring up again lest they
be forgotten.

1) The case may convey information, e.g. Liddel&Scott uses capitals for
root words.
2) L&S uses different ordering for iota subscriptum/accents/spiritus
than BAGD, at least as far as I can remember.
3) Exact ordering may convey information, e.g. L&S adds word "hence" at
the end of some entries because the next entry depends on the previous.

The information of 1) and 3) can be represented in some other way, but
even if it's taken care of, the subjective quality suffers if lexicons
don't follow the originals.

--Eeli Kaikkonen