[sword-devel] TEI external references with osisRef

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 07:04:53 MST 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Eeli Kaikkonen
<eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:
> Quoting DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org>:
>

>> In the light of versification and that many biblical references refer
>> to specific works that might not be an installed module, let alone a
>> module at all, what should the behavior be? For example a German
>> commentary refers to a verse in Malachi that is not in the KJV v11n?
>> Should we use a different variant of work that includes the
>> versification:
>> Bible.Vul.xxx:ref
>> That way, if the xxx module is not installed, we can grab another Bible
>> with the Vul versification.
>
> I can't say anything about the TEI markup, but the problem is more general.
> For example, with bookmarks both the preferred module and the exact
> versification may be needed. If there is only the module name, it may not be
> installed (or even exist at all in the repositories) and it's impossible to
> find the correct verse in any other module. Wherever a module name has been
> used before the new v11n system, it should be thought whether it needs a
> v11n marker or not. If there's any possibility that the module may be
> replaced by another module in some useful way, there should be a way to
> specify the v11n.

Whether or not there is a module in the versification of the
reference, it will often by possible to map to a different module in a
different versification (for example, showing Psalm 130:3 in Q rather
than Psalm 130:2 in W).  Whether this is desirable and understandable
is another matter - I claim it can probably be made so by doing
something very similar to Wikipedia (e.g. Psalm 130:3 - redirected
from Psalm 130:2 in ...), and that it is frequently (possibly near
universally) better to display references in a user's preferred Bible
whether or not it has the same versification.

Jon