[sword-devel] Question about Public Domain

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Mar 16 17:03:49 MST 2009

Ben Morgan wrote:
> I thought it was the whole glob of the application that had to be able
> to be licensed under the GPL? An individual component of my application
> can be released under another license.

Ok, I think I know what you're getting at. Assuming that you want to use
a GPL library (e.g. Sword), other individual components can be released
under any GPL compatible license, provided that the overall project is
GPL licensed (not GPL compatible, but GPLv2 specifically).

BibleCS & Xiphos are in this situation because they use Sword (GPL v2)
and also ICU (BSD 2-clause), and the resulting front end in both cases
is GPL v2.

It would be possible to write non-GPL components to a front end and
incorporate them into a GPL front end, but I don't believe it would be
possible to make the front end itself non-GPL because it is itself a
derivative work of all libraries that it links (since you would have to
use the GPL header files).

--Chris