[sword-devel] Question about Public Domain

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Mar 16 16:45:10 MST 2009

Ben Morgan wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:04 AM, mmital <mital.manu at gmail.com
> <mailto:mital.manu at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     Hi,
>     As Chris pointed out, all front-ends *have* to use GPL v2. So the
>     public domain door is closed for me.
> The license for a front end has to be GPL v2 compatible. Not GPL v2
> necessarily.

This is completely incorrect (more specifically backwards). To say that
a license is GPL compatible means that code licensed under that license
may be incorporated in/used by GPL licensed software. Code that is GPL
licensed may only be used within code that is likewise GPL licensed.
(This is the whole "viral" nature of the GPL.)