[sword-devel] Alternate Versification

Brian Fernandes infernalproteus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 10:54:34 MST 2009

DM Smith wrote:

> If I am understanding this correctly, this leads me to believe that
> GenBooks are not going to be used, but rather regular Bible modules. If
> this is true, it is a boon to commentaries as well, as commentaries are
> structured internally as Bibles. And it gives us compressed modules. And
> it gives us the speed of the Bible module (GenBook is very slow in
> comparison.)

This is really good to know. I was recently looking at the "Holy Bible"
software you can get from cathnet.org here:
http://cathnet.org/projects/jerome/cnsoftware/holybible/

This is a fork of Sword for windows I think which includes the DRC and
CCB as Bible modules, not Gen book modules. I believe this is not
intended to be a general purpose fork and "regular" Bible modules would
not work (but I have not tried).

> I had been concerned with GenBooks being used as osis2mod does
> transformations and the gen book importer did not.
>
> I think that what is needed is a minor change to osis2mod:
> It will need to instantiate an appropriate VerseMgr (based on a new flag
> to the program, defaulting to KJV) and the isKJVRef and makeKJVref will
> need to change to isV11NRef and makeV11NRef.
>
> Whoo Hoo!!!!
>
> BTW, it should be easy to implement this in JSword!

This is the best news of all. I have been promoting both BibleDesktop
and FireBible locally and the one sticky point is the fact that no
Catholic Bibles are available. DM, I had been meaning to talk to you
about these Bibles for some time now; if we could get this into JSword
1.7, that would be great! You can count on me for assistance, but I
suspect these are changes you would like to make yourself :)

Brian.