[sword-devel] Question about Public Domain

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Mar 16 09:21:49 MST 2009

mmital wrote:
> Thanks. I just wanted to know what are my options if I want to use
> third party code in my application that is free to use, but is not
> necessarily under the GPL. The author of this third party component is
> saying that I can use his free code, but he is not willing to license
> his code under GPL.

That's a different question altogether. You can license your code under
GPL and use any 3-rd party code that has a license that is compatible
with the GPL. The list of compatible licenses differs between v2 and v3.

SWORD is v2 and does not have a clause that allows it to also be used as
v3 (i.e. the "or later" clause). So the 3-rd party licenses that are
permissible are those that are compatible with v2.

That said, my opinion as one who is not a lawyer, it is the GPL that
restricts what is compatible, and (typically) not the 3-rd party. For
example, v2 is not compatible with Apache licenses (e.g. Lucene), but
the Lucene folk don't care if a (L)GPL program uses their library. That
does not put them under any obligation to become GPL.

In Him,
    DM