[sword-devel] [sword-support] deuterocanonical support

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Mar 15 21:43:30 MST 2009

Ben Morgan wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Chris Little wrote:
>

>     Barry Drake wrote:
>
>         Hi Chris .......
>
>         Chris Little wrote:
>
>             We plan to have this ready for our next release
>
>         This is the most fantastic exciting news.  I've been carefully
>         following all Troy's and your recent svn commits.  Thanks for
>         all the great work.
>

>     It's all coming along very nicely, and I should be able to make an
>     announcement and post some example content using a non-KJV
>     versification "Real Soon Now".
>
> Can I please plead not to have this in this release?  Please? I want to
> see a release.  Currently trunk seems relatively stable for usual
> modules, so I'd like to see a release (once a couple of patches of mine
> have been committed...)

I guess I don't see the logic to postponing a new feature that is much
desired and adds a lot of capability, considering that it is basically
done and shouldn't require very extensive testing. I say that it
shouldn't require much testing because the KJV v11n is now using the
same kind of v11n plugin system as we plan to use for non-KJV v11ns.

The new v11n architecture is the biggest new feature of 1.5.12, and I
think finishing its implementation represents a sufficiently significant
milestone for the release of 1.5.12.

> A major problem with alternate versification is there currently isn't
> any way to map between different versification schemes - which is very
> important for parallel views, etc. Also, quite a lot of code assumes
> things like 2 testaments - I'd like to give these a little time to migrate.

As has been mentioned, there are no plans to address mapping between
v11ns in the first release. That will come later. It's important, but
not as important as simply supporting other v11ns at the most basic
level, which will allow basic display, lookup, search, etc. Besides, we
don't support mapping between v11n systems at the moment for Bibles from
different v11n systems that have been wedged into the KJV system.

The 2 testament system will remain and there are no plans to change
that. We're not going to add additional testaments. We'll simply
contract or extend them, as necessary, for a given v11n. Testaments are
primarily an issue of storage location since each testament gets a
separate set of files. The only other significant aspect of testaments
is that they host a testament introduction. At present, I'm simply
assuming that the NT begins with Matthew, so all preceding books are in
the OT and all following in the NT. Thus, if deuterocanonicals appear
following the OT books, they will be included with the OT, and if they
appear as an appendix after the NT, they will be included with the NT.

--Chris