[sword-devel] ModEdit

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sun Mar 15 16:18:49 MST 2009

Dear Tony,

I originally did the software for the KJV2003 project.  It was initially
a quick hack together to help volunteer work in parallel on the project.
  I thought that some time ago I started work to update it to the latest
engine and 'genericize' it so other projects could use it.  I did some
hunting and found it in the sword-tools repo at:

http://crosswire.org/svn/sword-tools/trunk/paralleltag/

There is a Makefile for building the binary part and a build.xml file
for building the java part, so a basically if you check it out and do:

make
ant

you should end up with something you can use and also modify and rebuild.

I spent a little time tonight adding a first cut of your requested
feature.  If you add an entry in ModEdit.properties

contextMod=KJV

then when you click a word, other verses with that word will show up
displayed with the KJV.  It's ugly, but should give you a starting
point.  If you'd like to see specifically what code I touched to add
this and where you can improve it's impl, have a look (ignoring file
rename and deletion cruft) at the most recent diff in svn:

svn diff http://crosswire.org/svn/sword-tools/trunk/ -r175:176

About setting up the tool in general, unfortunately there are no
instructions on how to prime your target module for editing.  I somehow
remember something strange needing to be done like changing all spaces
to '_', or maybe that was just with early versions of the software.

In anycase, Alkitab shows your experience in Java, so I'm sure you'd do
quite a good job adding new features.  And please let me know if you'd
like commit access to the repository.  My apologies up front for the
java code.  I'm sure I was frantically trying to get something to work
for the project and spent no real time trying to make the code maintainable.

Blessings in your work!

	-Troy.