[sword-devel] Poetry and indented lines

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Mar 9 10:38:28 MST 2009

DM Smith wrote:
> With regard to OSIS, if there are short-comings, we should try to
> influence the standard. This is a proper venue for how we at CrossWire
> would like to work with OSIS.
>
> Regarding the <l> element and indents here is what the manual has to say:
> *l: The l element is used to mark separate lines in a lg (line group)
> element. This will be most commonly used in the encoding of poetry.*
> *
> *
> *The level attribute takes a positive integer value that indicates which
> line in a line group is being encoded. This can be used in processing to
> insure proper indentation of lines.*
> *
> *
>
> If I understand this right, the level attribute should be used to
> indicate the depth of indentation. Perhaps level="1" and level not being
> specified should mean the same thing. And ESV should be re-coded to have
> it properly set.
>
> (I'd like Chris' input!)

This is precisely my understanding as well, and I try to encode using
this semantic for the level attribute on <l>. The usfm2osis.pl
converter, for example, should interpret the level indicators in SFM and
copy those to the level attribute. So, in theory, there should be a
number of Bibles already encoded like this (just don't ask me to
remember which they are).

--Chris