[sword-devel] Wiki front end comparison
dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Mar 2 13:02:22 MST 2009
DM Smith wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2009, at 8:43 AM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
>> Putting data into rows and frontends into columns is so obvious that I
>> feel now stupid. It is probably too late to fix this for the wiki -
>> unless you, Eeli, volunteer - the amount has become too much.
> I'll see about doing this.
Take a look at the wiki now. I've transposed the first table. I left in
the original, so we can revert easily. Or delete it if we like this
I thought I'd get feedback before we started making this change.
It probably would have been easier if I printed out the table and then
tried to create the new one. I may have missed something.
I added a row for Testament introductions. These are represented
internally by Book 0, chapter 0, verse 0 for the testament in question.
I used √ because it looks like a check mark. I used ×
because it looked like an X. I can replace these with the images, if we
desire it. I added ½ for partially implemented, but I am not sure
that it is needed. We can always split a feature (e.g. book/chapter
introductions -> book introductions; chapter introductions) or add a
I think the X should mean that a feature is missing but ought to be present.
It is not clear what a blank cell means. In some cases it means that the
feature is a plus but should not be expected in another front end (E.g.
journal in Xiphos). That is, it represents N/A. Some times it means that
it is not know whether a feature is present or not. That is, it
represents ???. I think it is important to minimize maintenance by using
blanks and to call out a program's distinctive/unique features.
A couple of pros about the new layout:
It is easy to add a feature.
It is more compact and perhaps easier to read.
I don't like the abbreviations. So I added a hover/tooltip giving the
full name. (IE allows vertical text and we could do the same with images
of the text.)
The check box columns may be too narrow.
The footnotes are a bear to maintain. I tried adding the wikipedia Cites
package, which as auto numbering. But I did it wrong and it killed the
wiki. I'll try later. For now perhaps we should have footnotes per
front-end rather than per table or wiki page.
Blank cells are ambiguous.
Your input is welcomed. So are your changes to the page!
More information about the sword-devel