[sword-devel] KJV Beta issue

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Thu Jun 11 12:13:18 MST 2009

I suppose some of the unfanfared differences in KJV editions are due to the
fact the there are so many publishers, and that the book has been published
for nearly 400 years since 1611, the principle definitive edition being the
one in 1769, that DM refers to, which is what most people really mean when
they talk about the KJV, even if they anachronistically associate it with
the 1611 date.

In the UK and in some Commonwealth realms, the KJV is not public domain, but
comes under a form of Crown Copyright, which in the UK (at least) is known
as Letters Patent.  See  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_copyright this
article  in Wikipedia.

Elsewhere in the world, and especially in the USA, the KJV has long been
public domain.  Nevertheless, the fact that users within the UK can download
electronic copies from outside the UK poses a subtle legal point, in regard
to copyright licensing and usage. The authority delegated to pursue this in
the UK is Cambridge University Press.

Two of the authorised publishers for the KJV in England are Cambridge
University Press and Oxford University Press. I suspect that there are even
some subtle differences between the Oxford and Cambridge editions, and I
don't just mean in typography. These could include spelling differences, for
example.

As a spot check (for all you good folks who own a printed copy), how does
the KJV spell the word "ankle"?
Is it "ankle" or "ancle" ?  You can use any SWORD front end to find the only
two verses containing this word.

-- David